|This week, we celebrated Red Cross founder Henry Dunant with #PassTheTorch.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 109 adults and 31 children following 38 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below.)
Last Week In Review
- As reported by the Brooklyn Paper, the Red Cross was there after a fire in Brighton Beach Sunday to provide emergency housing and financial assistance to four families affected by the blaze.
- Ahead of this week’s heat wave, we kicked off summer with a few safety tips — like this explainer video with Red Cross volunteer Lipica Shah on recognizing the signs of heat stroke.
- June 24 marked an important Red Cross anniversary. On this date in 1859, during the Battle of Solferino, Swiss humanitarian Henry Dunant was inspired to found the international Red Cross and Red Crescent movement. We revisited his legacy and the pilgrimage to Solferino, Italy that Red Cross volunteers make annually, with this podcast episode.
- On Wednesday, Assemblywoman Jessica Gonzalez teamed up with our Greater NY CEO Mary Barneby for a virtual disaster preparedness seminar.
- Also on Wednesday, 14 families required Red Cross aid after a two-alarm fire in Queens. Our volunteers provided financial assistance, emergency housing, and other relief items like food and water.
- A second story balcony collapsed suddenly on Tuesday at a Bay Ridge residence requiring Red Cross aid at the scene, according to the Brooklyn Paper.
- A fire in Shelton tore through homes in the Bronx on June 22. News 12 reported that victims were assisted by Red Cross volunteers.
- Last week on our blog we celebrated the service of long-time Red Cross volunteer and retired small business owner Ray Enstine.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- June 14 to June 30: The American Red Cross is facing a critical blood shortage — save a life and head over to a blood drive near you today. Those who donate receive a $5 Amazon gift card for the duration of this promotion.
- June 28: The Red Cross of Greater New York is holding virtual disaster preparedness seminar with Assemblywoman Jenifer Rajkumar.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Preparedness Team members, Disaster Action team members and Disaster Workforce Engagement members. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.