|Red Cross of Greater New York volunteers at a ticker tape parade for #HometownHeroes. |
(Photo: Vivian Moy)
Last Week In Review
- Members of the Red Cross were among the thousands of essential workers celebrated on July 7 with a ticker tape parade in Manhattan. We marched alongside nurses, teachers, bus drivers and other frontline workers who kept the city running during the pandemic. Vivian Moy, a Red Cross volunteer and parade honoree, was featured by OMNY for her service.
- A truck transporting 12,000 gallons of gasoline overturned on the Nassau Expressway on Wednesday, causing shutdowns in both directions. The Long Island Red Cross was at the scene of the spill supporting First Responders.
- On Thursday, our communications team spoke with News 12 to help viewers prepare for Hurricane Elsa. We also spoke to Everyday Health about emergency preparedness and Red Cross apps, available now on both the App Store and Google Play.
- After Hurricane Elsa passed over New York late in the week, the Red Cross was out in the field to help local families. This included assistance to six Manhattan families as well as four Suffolk families in need of temporary housing following fires.
- We also hosted a virtual disaster preparedness seminar with New York State Assemblyman Michael Tannousis.
- July 15: Join us for a virtual Pillowcase Project event, which focuses on emergency preparedness for children, with New York State Representative Jessica Gonazalez-Rojas.
- July 27: We’re co-hosting an online hands-only CPR training with New York State Senator Elijah Reichlin-Meinick.
- We’re partnering with AmeriCorps — come work with us today. By joining our team, you’ll help build up our roster of volunteers and further our life-saving work.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Preparedness Team members, Disaster Action team members and Disaster Workforce Engagement members. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- The American Red Cross has issued a call for blood. We are experiencing nationwide blood shortages and are in dire need of donors to help us save lives. Find a blood drive near you today.