|The Long Island Red Cross opened a reception center for residents following a fire in Freeport.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has continued to support communities impacted by Hurricane Ida while providing emergency assistance to individuals affected by other local disasters, mostly home fires.
Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Our volunteers proudly marched in celebration of the 125th Anniversary of the Greenwich Police Dept. over the weekend.
- Our regional CEO Mary Barneby celebrated her one-year anniversary with the Red Cross by sharing this special message.
- One of our local volunteers, Meara Lebovitz, was featured on the national Red Cross social media platforms in recognition of her inspiring work in the field of Disaster Spiritual Care.
- Bruno Costais, Ray Wark and Erin Phillips are running this year’s TCS NYC Marathon to benefit the Red Cross. Learn more about why they are running and support their efforts through their fundraising pages. If you’d like to join Team Red Cross, click here.
- Red Cross volunteers like Lisa Schieffelin, Tim Majcen and Susan Lund continue to support residents affected by Ida at Service Centers across NYC and Westchester County.
- Happy Hispanic Heritage Month! This September, we celebrate the vibrant heritage and significant contributions that Hispanic and Latinx-Americans have made to our country and to the Red Cross.
- Last Tuesday, the Red Cross assisted residents on E. Merrick Road in Freeport (Nassau County) by opening a reception center that provided meals and a safe place for the displaced families following a large fire.
- With school back in session, the American Red Cross is here to teach you about emergency preparedness with the Red Cross Declassified Survival Guide!
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Sept 21: Sign up to learn Hands-Only CPR through this livestream presentation co-hosted by Assemblymember Jessica Gonzalez-Rojas.
- Sept 22: Learn about our many volunteer opportunities like supporting here in NY and around the country during this online Disaster Information Session.
- Sept 29: Join us for a virtual preparedness presentation--Prepare, Respond and Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes—in partnership with NY State Senator Anthony Palumbo and NY State Rep. Harry Arora.
- We’re looking for volunteers to help staff disaster shelters, with a specific need for health professionals. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact email@example.com.