|Long Island Red Crossers marched in the 2021 Huntington Red, White and Blue Holiday Parade.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 200 adults and 43 children for 36 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Last Saturday, The Brooklyn Paper reported 25 residents being displaced after a 2-alarm fire on 8th Ave, Brooklyn. The Red Cross provided financial aid and emergency housing to 3 families.
- Over the weekend, new Long Island Red Cross CEO Jose Dominguez, Vito Reciniello and other Long Island Red Crossers enjoyed marching and celebrating at the 2021 Huntington Red, White & Blue Holiday Parade.
- On Thanksgiving Day, the Red Cross responded to several large fires including:
- A 5-alarm fire on Post Ave in Inwood where we assisted 99 adults and 24 children. 22 families were given emergency housing. NBCNY, ABC7NY, PIX11, and Patch reported on the fire.
- CBS NY reported on 2-alarm fire on E 98th Street in Brooklyn where we provided financial aid and emergency housing to 3 families.
- NY Daily News reported on a 4-alarm fire on Devoe St. in Williamsburg where the Red Cross assisted 4 families with financial aid and emergency housing. ABC7, Daily Mail and 1010Wins all reported on the fire.
- In letters to the editor, new Long Island Red Cross CEO Jose Dominguez and Metro NY North Red Cross CEO Stephanie Dunn Ashley expressed gratitude and appreciation for volunteers who make helping others a priority in their lives.
- Check out our year-end highlights showing how the Red Cross in the Greater New York Region volunteers, staff, and donors made a difference for thousands of people.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Dec 15: Join us for a Volunteer Info Session to learn about our many volunteer opportunities and how you can apply.
- Dec 16: Join us for a special preparedness presentation: Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes co-hosted by Congressman Hakeem Jeffries.
- Are you ready to turn your compassion into action? As a Disaster Casework volunteer, you will connect directly with people affected by disasters big and small to help take the next steps in their recovery journey. Sign up here.