|Sadly, the Red Cross responded to several fatal fires last week|
including on Riverhead, Long Island. (Photo: Celia Vollmer)
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 84 adults and 21 children following 40 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Last Sunday, the Metro NY North Red Cross team provided emergency housing and financial assistance to 10 families following a fire on S. Kensico Ave in White Plains. A reception center was also opened to provide hot beverages, food and comfort to displaced residents.
- Last Friday, the Red Cross responded to a tragic 2-alarm fire on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard in Harlem where 13 residents were assisted with emergency housing and financial assistance. Congressman Adriano Espaillat showed his support for those who were affected by the fire, and thanked the Red Cross.
- Last Tuesday, the Long Island Red Cross responded to a fatal fire in Riverhead. We provided financial assistance, blankets, and comfort kits to 2 families.
- As Thanksgiving approaches, read these 10 holiday travel safety tips before you hit the road.
- We thanked Shreve Crump & Low and their customers for raising $11,000, during their special promotion, to support our critical mission.
- Check out highlights from the past year of Greater New York Region showing how our volunteers, staff, and donors making a difference for thousands of people near and far.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Dec 15: Join us for a Volunteer Info Session to learn about our many volunteer opportunities and how you can apply.
- Dec 16: Join us for a special preparedness presentation: Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes co-hosted by Congressman Hakeem Jeffries.
- Are you ready to turn your compassion into action? As a Disaster Casework volunteer, you will connect directly with people affected by disasters big and small to help take the next steps in their recovery journey. Sign up here.