|Teaching hands-only CPR to Council Member Mercedes Narcisse at Brooklyn Back to School Fair.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 99 adults and 41 children following 45 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, our Preparedness Teams distributed fire safety information and signed up residents for free smoke alarm installations at several Long Island community events and at the Muslim Heritage Festival in Valhalla, NY.
- Did you learn hands only CPR with our team at the at the Community Health and Back to School Fair at South Shore HS in Brooklyn?
- Last Sunday, some of our Service to the Armed Forces volunteers (and their pet therapy dogs) attended a special Veterans Appreciation game with the Hudson Valley Renegades.
- With the start of the school year just days away, MNYN Chapter’s own Stephanie Dunn Ashley shared these great back-to-school safety tips in her monthly column with the Greenwich Sentinel, and also spoke with a reporter about how MNYN is helping out after disasters in Guam and Hawaii.
- Last Thursday, Stephanie Dunn Ashley also visited Senator Bill Weber’s office in Nanuet to announce our partnership to help #EndHomeFires in Rockland County.
- Congressman Anthony D'Esposito showed his support for the Home Fire Campaign by recording this Sound the Alarm PSA.
- Earlier in the week, News 12 Long Island reported on our #LongIsland Disaster Action Team supported residents displaced by a fire in Deer Park.
- The Red Cross’ Condolence Care Team connected with the family of the victim after the fatal fire in Forest Hills, Queens on August 18.
- Sept 13: Even War Has Rules is a dynamic discussion of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and how it governs armed conflict (must have Volunteer Connection account to register).
- Sept 18: Are you a young woman professional who is passionate about helping others? Do you want to be part of positive change? We invite you to join the American Red Cross in Greater New York for the 2023-2024 kick-off of Clara’s Council!
- Oct 26: Get tickets for the Long Island Heroes Celebration: the signature fundraising event for the American Red Cross on Long Island.
- Donate to the Maui Wildfire Relief fund: In these difficult times, donate to the American Red Cross fund for Maui Wildfire Relief.