|Red Cross Staff and Volunteers participate in National Night Out.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 171 adults and 41 children following 58 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Did you catch Marty, Tony, and team at the Touch-A-Truck event at Belle Haven on Saturday?
- Last Thursday, we hosted Assemblywoman Linda B. Rosenthal at our Greater NY headquarters for discussions on how we can improve the safety of our community.
- We featured volunteer Mary Cueva on her journey through Hurricane Mitch and providing relief during Hurricane Ida.
- Last Wednesday, CBS News and News12 reported the GNY Red Cross assisted 2 displaced families affected by an East New York fire.
- Many thanks to our Red Cross team members across our NYC, Long Island, and Metro NY North Chapters who came out to participate in National Night Out last Tuesday.
- State Senator Kirsten Gillibrand helped to “Sound the Alarm” about home fires with this video PSA.
- Earlier in the week, our Service to the Armed Fores Team celebrated the 233rd Birthday of the US Coast Guard by attending a ceremony where NYC was designated as a Coast Guard City.
- Metro NY North Chapter CEO Stephanie Dunn Ashley shared her experience of being a lifelong blood donor donating plasma and platelets for the first time in this post.
- Aug 8: Join Senator Alexis Weik at our “Prepare, Respond, Recover” event at the Sachem Public Library, where you’ll receive free emergency preparedness training! The event will take place both in person and over Zoom.
- Sept 18: Are you a young woman professional who is passionate about helping others? Do you want to be part of positive change? We invite you to join the American Red Cross in Greater New York for the 2023-2024 kick-off of Clara’s Council!
- Oct 26: Get tickets for the Long Island Heroes Celebration: the signature fundraising event for the American Red Cross on Long Island.