|The Greater NY Red Cross helped light the Fifth Avenue Snowflake to kickoff the season of giving.
(Photo: Nathalie Sayago)
From November 28 to December 4, the Red Cross in Greater New York provided emergency assistance to 118 adults and 32 children following 43 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from that past week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Thank you Fifth Avenue for choosing the American Red Cross to officially light the 57th Street snowflake and for making us this year’s #TheGiftofFifth partner.
- Last Saturday, we held a Battle of The Badges Blood Drive in Greenwich, Conn. where local police, firefighters and EMS battled it out to see who could inspire the most blood donations. We had over 60 pints of blood donated, which is 180 lives they potentially saved! You can donate anytime through the end of December using this BloodLink.
- News 12 helped to get the word out for an amazing Prepare the Town: Mount Vernon emergency preparedness community event. The turnout was great, and our partners in Mount Vernon were thrilled with the results.
- Turner Construction Company joined members of our Service to the Armed Forces team to spread holiday cheer at the Bronx VA Hopsital by helping clean up the garden and decorate the indoors with holiday festivity.
- CBS2 covered a fire on the Upper East Side of Manhattan on Thursday where Red Cross responders are helping those impacted.
- ABC7, News12, and Brooklyn Paper covered a fire in Bushwick on Wednesday where Red Cross responders are helping four families.
- Last Monday, the Giving Machines were unveiled at Times Square! Through the #LightTheWorld Giving Machines hosted by our partner The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you can donate directly to the Red Cross and provide help and hope to others this season.
- Home Fire Campaign volunteer Chenxi Shi shares how many smoke alarms he has installed in the community and what he enjoys most about volunteering with the program in this clip.
- Long Island Congressman Nick LaLota is helping to “Sound the Alarm” about home fires with this video PSA.
- We shared this clip last week of when we honored First Deputy Commissioner Christina Farrell for her lifetime of service, including her current leadership in NYC Emergency Management, at the Women Who Serve America event earlier in November.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- 📢 Calling all Gamers 📢This holiday season to help ensure that no family faces a disaster alone, join our Gamers vs Disasters fundraiser. Gamers can now join our #RescueRoyale, a charity based stream-a-thon, to help assist people affected by disasters big and small.
- Year in Review 2023: As we close out 2023, we wish you a safe and healthy holiday season, and invite you to review some of our region's proudest and most memorable moments.
- Dec 9: Red Cross volunteers will be tabling at the City of White Plains Volunteer & Wellness Festival from 12p to 4p at The Westchester (4th Floor), 125 Westchester Avenue. Come say hello!
- Through Dec 9: 10% of sales at POLOGEORGIS in Greenwich will benefit the American Red Cross Metro NY North chapter.
- Dec 14: Give the gift of time! Join us on Microsoft Teams to learn about our most needed volunteer opportunities and how you can sign up to join us.