|Our Preparedness Team featured on Operation 7: Save a Life on ABC7.
From Feb 5-11, the American Red Cross in Greater New York provided emergency assistance to 196 adults and 54 children following 48 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from the past week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Did you catch Operation 7: Save a Life on ABC7 over the weekend? Check it out for some great context about the recent rise in lithium-ion battery fires and look for our amazing preparedness team talking about our work helping teach children about how to prepare for home fires with their families.
- CBS NY reported the Red Cross assisted 3 families late Sunday night due to an unstable building facade in Brooklyn.
- Last Friday, Senator Iwen Chu joined our Home Fire Team to install free smoke alarms and help make her community safer.
- The Brooklyn Paper, Patch.com and News 12 reported on the Red Cross assisting 7 families after a fire sparked by e-bikes in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.
- Last Wednesday, our LI Disaster Action Team responded to a fire in Seaford (Nassau County) and registered one family for emergency assistance.
- Last Tuesday, our MNYN Disaster Action Team responded to a fire in Greenwich and registered two families for emergency assistance.
- Great work by our Metro New York North Disaster Action Team who recently responded to five separate fires in one week and was covered by lohud.com for their efforts.
- For Black History Month, we celebrated African American leaders like Frederick Douglas, who shaped our organization into what it is today.
- Throughout last week, West Point Military Academy hosted their annual blood drive and it was a resounding success!
- Giving a few hours of your time each month is all you need to support the American Red Cross’ lifesaving mission. You can support our volunteer workforce with various administrative tasks as a Disaster Workforce Engagement volunteer, this hybrid role can be done at home or at a red cross office.
- Feb 28: Join Kate Schlientz and Tara Rosenblum for a fundraising event saluting the American Red Cross New York Metro North Chapter at Red Horse by David Burke in White Plains.
- Feb 28: Please join us for “Be in the Know: Office of Ethics & Compliance Info Session” with Long Island's own Frank Favilla, Senior Investigator with the Office of Ethics & Compliance (OEC).
- Mar 6: Join us in Manhattan as the American Red Cross recognizes civic leaders and heroic individuals who embody our humanitarian mission at the annual Red Cross Heroes Gala.
- Mar 6: NYC Emergency Management invites you to the 12th Annual 'Community Preparedness' 2024 Symposium Path to Preparedness: Empowering Community Action.