|Briefing meeting with Metro NYN Staff and Volunteers at Disaster Volunteer Institute. (Photo: Caroline Sherwin)
Last Week in Review
- For the past several days, our Red Cross colleagues across the country have been working around the clock to support their neighbors following a severe weather outbreak that spanned several states. The Greater NY Red Cross stands ready to support these efforts as needed.
- Over the weekend, the Metro NY North Red Cross held a Disaster Volunteer Institute in Mt. Vernon to fast-track new volunteers into disaster response roles. Thank you and welcome to our new volunteers!
- As a new group of volunteers attended the Disaster Institute, Metro NY North volunteers were called to assist six families displaced by an early morning fire in Mamaroneck Village. Emergency housing and financial assistance were provided.
- Last Friday, in honor of the birthday of Red Cross founder Henry Dunant, we published a blog post entitled, “13 Things You Did Not Know About the Red Cross in NYC and Beyond.”
- On the same day, the Greater NY Red Cross received an inspiring visit from Francesco Rocco, President of the Italian Red Cross. Dr. Rocca spoke passionately about the Red Cross/Crescent Movement and awarded the Greater NY Region with a medal recognizing our disaster relief efforts.
- On Wednesday, some Red Cross staff supported the Missing Maps Project by helping to map out areas of Nepal affected by the May earthquake.
- On Tuesday, volunteers from SwissRe helped build disaster comfort kits to be distributed to local residents affected by future fires and other emergencies.
- The American Red Cross continues to support the global Red Cross response to the Nepal earthquake. Last week, additional American Red Cross resources were mobilized to aid the people of Nepal.
- May 11 & 14: Red Cross blood drive; 1 to 7pm; 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- May 12: Employees from Marsh and McLennan will be volunteering to build disaster comfort kits for those affected by local disasters.
- May 13: The Greater NY Red Cross Young Professionals Committee is partnering with Ivy Connect to host a salon discussion and reception entitled “Leadership Insights from Extraordinary Women."
- May 15: AOL employees will be taking part in a card-signing and ribbon-making event for service members.
- May 17: Viacom employees will be supporting our Service to the Armed Forces program by assembling comfort kits for veterans.
- May 16 & 17: As part of the ongoing Home Fire Preparedness Campaign, Red Cross volunteers (including D.A.R.T. Team Members) and the Tzu Chi Foundation will be in Lower Manhattan and Loch Sheldrake, N.Y. on Saturday and in Brooklyn on Sunday to install free smoke alarms. There will also be upcoming events on May 30 in the Bronx and June 6 in Queens. If you’d like to volunteer for the campaign, sign up on our website by selecting “Home Fire Preparedness Campaign Volunteer.” Current volunteers should sign up through “Volunteer Connection."