|Red Crossers assisting passengers at Penn Station after Amtrak derailment.|
Last Week in Review
- Following last week’s tragic Amtrak train derailment, the Red Cross provided relief, not only in Philadelphia, but also here in NYC at Penn Station. Red Cross staff and volunteers provided mental-health, health and other support to affected passengers arriving in Manhattan by bus.
- On Sunday, the Red Cross Brooklyn Disaster Action Team was back in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) installing free smoke alarms in area homes and providing life-saving fire safety information to residents. Thanks to the Jewish community and their families for their warm welcome and accommodation.
- On Saturday, our own Regional Disaster Program Officer Kelly McKinney ran in the Brooklyn Half Marathon while Red Cross volunteers lent their support to the event as medical spotters.
- Early Friday morning, following a home fire in Spring Valley, Metro New York North volunteers were called to assist more than ten displaced families with emergency financial assistance, temporary housing and referrals for longer term assistance.
- Later in the day on Friday, members of the Dutch Red Cross visited our Chapter HQ by bike, while employees from Viacom built comfort kits for returning veterans.
- Wednesday night, Red Cross volunteers responded to a fire in Yonkers and opened a relief center at the nearby Police Athletic League where multiple families were assisted.
- Also on Wednesday, our Young Professionals Committee partnered with Ivy Connect to host their second salon discussion and reception. The theme of last week’s event was, "Leadership Insights from Extraordinary Women." Among the speakers was Greater NY Red Cross board member and current President of BNY Mellon, Karen Peetz.
- On Tuesday, Red Cross volunteers from West Point were honored for their service at an annual recognition event. Check out this Time Warner Cable News story.
- On Monday, the Red Cross responded to a large fire in the Bronx that scorched two buildings. Temporary housing and emergency financial assistance were provided to five families.
- May 18: Red Cross Youth Club Members will be participating in a Missing Maps Project Mapathon at the Urban Assembly School for Emergency Management.
- May 19, 22 & 23: Red Cross blood drive; 1 to 7pm; 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- May 23-24: Red Cross volunteers will be at the Intrepid during Memorial Day Weekend to distribute information about Service to the Armed Forces program.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.