|Everyday heroes honored at the Red Cross Gala.|
Last Week in Review
- On Friday, a group of courageous Red Crossers from across the Greater NY region headed down south to help aid, support and provide relief to those affected by Hurricane Matthew. NBC news reported over 20 local members of GNY Red Cross have been deployed so far and they are indeed an inspiration to us all.
- Several volunteers responded to a Yonkers fire to provide aid, support and supplies to all those that had been displaced by the disaster. Two of the three buildings were declared uninhabitable following the event. The fire took place on Friday, Oct 7th and displaced 73 people, including 27 children and numerous pets.
- A request from Bedford Emergency Officials was received on Friday, asking for assistance to a multi-related Bedford Hills Family displaced by a home fire. MNY Volunteers responded and provided much needed assistance.
- On Wednesday, the Red Cross hosted the Heroes Among Us Gala at the American Museum of Natural History. The night was an extreme success for all involved as Red Cross honored our Heroes for their dedicated service and continued commitment to the community. Be sure to check out some of the spectacular photos and videos from the night. Endless thanks to all donors, sponsors, staff and volunteers who made the night possible.
- Prior to the gala, the Red Cross organized a panel where three heroes from the Pulse Nightclub tragedy, Neema Bahrami, Brian Reagan and Neal Whittleton, shared their story with a packed house of Red Cross staff members and volunteers. It was a truly inspiring session that was covered by the NY Daily News. Visit our YouTube channel to watch the live stream of the impactful session.
- In our most recent blog post, 17 year old high school senior, Heather Paniagua, shares with us her experiences with the Red Cross and what kind of impact the Red Cross has had on her life and that of her family, even across state borders. Check out this amazing story here!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Oct 12, 14, 17: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Oct 13: #GetAlarmedNYC is in full swing and serving neighborhoods all across NYC. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.
- Oct 14-19: The Greater NY Red Cross has partnered with the New York Junior League (NYJL) to collaborate in “delivering hope and help across the region”. This special partnership features an “around the clock” volunteer marathon to commit to 115 consecutive hours to honor the 115 year anniversary of NYJL. We are extremely excited to be teaming up for this phenomenal effort. If you are interested in volunteering, please visit the link on more information on how to sign up.
- Oct 19: Supporting Volunteer and Managing Teams Workshop at the Greater NY Chapter (Oct 22. In Long Island). If you are a supporting volunteer or team manager, please take advantage of this engaging course. You can sign up and learn more about SVMT here.
- Nov 6: For currently Red Cross Volunteers, the Greater NY Region is recruiting over 150 volunteers to support the Marathon medical team as course spotters in the post-finish area at the New York City Marathon on Sunday, Nov 6. Volunteers working this event will be required to have a current CPR certification. CPR training will be provided at no cost for volunteers who are not certified. Sign up today!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.