|Red Cross volunteers used Yankee Stadium as a base to gather before splitting into smaller groups to install free smoke alarms in the Bronx as part of the Red Cross Home Fire Campaign.(Photo: Brett Whysel)|
Last Week in Review
- On Tuesday evening, Greater NY volunteers responded to a 4-alarm fire on Hunts Point Ave in the Bronx and provided emergency housing, emergency financial assistance, and referrals to more than two dozen residents.
- This Independence Day weekend, the Red Cross encouraged the online community to support military members by sending them July 4th selfies through the Red Cross Hero Care app.
- On Saturday morning, Red Cross volunteers rallied together at Yankees stadium before fanning out in the Bronx community to install free smoke alarms.
- On Friday, Greater NY Red Cross CEO Josh Lockwood spoke to a team from CBS Evening News about the Red Cross response to wildfires out West and how families can stay safe and prepared.
- On Thursday, LI Red Cross volunteers and employees from PSEG Long Island helped prepare and educate the Long Island community on home fire safety by installing free smoke alarms and providing relevant educational information.
- On Wednesday evening into the late hours of the night, Red Cross volunteers responded to a 5-alarm fire on E. 9th St. and registered around 60 displaced residents for assistance.
- On Wednesday, following a request by Emergency Officials reporting a multi-generational family of five adults and five children, with the oldest being a 101 years old, had been displaced by a home fire, Metro NY North Red Cross volunteers Rick and Nancy Stein and Patsy Gerhart responded and provided emotional support, along with needed emergency financial assistance to the family.
- Last Tuesday, Metro NY North Red Cross volunteers William Crespo and Cliff Young assisted two families displaced by a fire in Washingtonville with emotional support and emergency financial aid.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- July 5-7, 10-12, 14: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Aug 22-27: Do you like to volunteer? Do you like golf? If so, have we got an opportunity for you! Sign up today to volunteer at THE NORTHERN TRUST at Glen Oaks Club in Old Westbury, NY. For $75, you gain daily access to the tournament for you and a guest, a logoed polo shirt and baseball cap, and much more. Plus, your efforts will support the mission of the American Red Cross. Learn more here.