|"Thank you RedCross for spending the morning at my alma mater PS20 teaching our young people how |
to best prepare for emergencies and natural catastrophes." -NYS Assemblymember Ron Kim
Last Week in Review
- March 1 marked the start of Red Cross Month and to commemorate the occasion, we posted “12 Things You Did Not Know About the Red Cross in NYC and Beyond” on our blog.
- On Saturday, we held our second annual “Share the Red” open-house event where volunteers and the public could attend a career fair and learn more about Red Cross activities and services.
- Several Red Cross volunteers received their deployment briefings before leaving for Massachusetts to assist with disaster relief after last week’s Nor’easter. This is in addition to team members deployed to Indiana.
- On Friday, NY State Assemblymember Ron Kim showed his support for the Pillowcase Project taught to students at his alma mater, PS 20.
- On Thursday, Metro New York North Red Cross team members met with the new Westchester County Executive George Latimer to discuss how the Red Cross helps the community.
- The LI Herald published a wonderful article with terrific photos about Long Island Red Cross teams installing free smoke alarms in Rockville Centre as part of the Sound the Alarm fire safety program.
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams thanked the FDNY and the Red Cross for responding to a tragic fire in Brooklyn by helping 45 displaced residents.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- If you’re a mission-focused undergraduate or graduate college student seeking a meaningful internship experience, then apply to our Red Cross Program—a rare opportunity to explore and enrich your future career prospects while serving others. Apply here: http://bit.ly/2x9lnqV
- Mar 1: Each year, the president of the United States proclaims March "Red Cross Month.” We use this month as a chance to honor and celebrate the everyday heroes who help us fulfill our mission.
- Mar 9, 12, 13: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Mar 7: The Red Cross is partnering with JCCRP to bring a life-saving program to Queens: Smoke Detector Event and Information Session on March 4th and 7th at 7pm.
- Mar 10: We will partner with the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) and FDNY Foundation to help "Sound the Alarm" by installing free smoke alarms in Queens. Learn more by clicking here.