|Being both Red Cross Month and Women's History Month, we recognize one of our Disaster Responders, Hlayma Shilleh, who helped residents in Belmont receive Red Cross services when they needed it most.|
Last Week in Review
- During this Saturday’s New York City Half Marathon, Red Cross volunteers served as medical spotters to support the runners in the event of any emergency.
- In our quest to “Sound the Alarm” to help end home fires, we recognized volunteers, including Mike Heyert, who over the weekend who visited numerous homes to install smoke alarms and educate residents on what to do if a fire does occur. Smoke alarms were installed in the Bronx, Port Washington and Westbury over this past weekend.
- Red Cross responders were on scene of a fire in Patchogue early Saturday to provide comfort and care for 25 displaced residents. Responders also helped displaced residents after a building fire in Franklin Square on Thursday.
- On Friday, the Bay Shore Boy Scouts earned their First Aid Merit Badge with a little help and training from the Red Cross.
- On Thursday, the Bronx Community Board 6 and NY State Senator Rivera honored our very own responder Hlayma Shilleh for being one of the first Red Crossers to arrive on scene of last December’s tragic fire in Belmont.
- Volunteers are the lifeblood of the Red Cross, and on Wednesday during our “Thank-A-Thon” we took the time to make personal calls to thank all of our Home Fire volunteers!
- March is Red Cross Month! Throughout the month we are taking the time to shine a spotlight on some of our rock star volunteers (including Nanci Banniger) who raised a hand to help those in need.
- Among those taking part in the Red Cross Month celebrations are NY State Senator Terrance Murphy, who honored our local volunteers, and Rockland County Executive Ed Day, who specifically thanked those that helped during hurricane season.
- Last week was also AmeriCorps Week. From helping to prepare our communities to responding to disasters, our Red Cross Corps team members are here to serve and have made quite the difference. Thank you to: Alessandro Magnasco, Benjamin Snipes, Emily Allen, Hortensia Anderson, Jhoanny Perez, Reilly Egan, Thomas Killeen, Zoraida Anderson, and Gregory Davidson!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- March 20, 23, 24, 26: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- March 24: We will partner with the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) and FDNY Foundation to help "Sound the Alarm" by installing free smoke alarms in Staten Island. Learn more by clicking here.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.