Red Cross participants strategizing during the 2018 Full Scale Exercise (Photo: Lori-Ann Pizzarelli)
Last Week In Review
- Hundreds of volunteers, partners, and employees from across the region (including in Metro NY North and Long Island) participated in a successful 2018 Full Scale Exercise over the weekend. This was a simulation that allows us to practice and evaluate existing procedures for disaster response. This year’s mock disaster was a hurricane.
- Happy Pride Month! Red Cross volunteers decorated a disaster relief van and supported the Long Beach PRIDE parade over the weekend.
- Red Cross organized a free home fire alarm installation event in partnership with Tzu Chi on Sunday in Queens for residents living in Woodside, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, and Flushing.
- June 8th was Deloitte’s annual Impact Day! Employees of Deloitte alongside Red Cross and partners installed over 500 smoke detectors for families in Boro Park.
- News 12 Brooklyn reported on a home fire early Wednesday morning that took the lives of a 36 year old man and his mother. Later that day, Red Cross volunteers canvassed the neighborhood installing free smoke alarms to help prevent future tragedies.
- Our dedicated volunteers in Long Island hosted a mass care training on Tuesday to help prepare volunteers to deliver food and provide shelter following large-scale emergencies.
- Earlier in the week, Red Cross Greater NY CEO Josh Lockwood attended the Call to Lead conference in Orlando where Condoleezza Rice and former president Barack Obama were in attendance.
- American Red Cross announced that 1 million elementary school students have learned to prepare for emergencies through The Pillowcase Project!
- New York City Councilman Chaim Deutsch, a huge supporter of our Sound the Alarm program, has proposed a bill that would require installation of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of all multi-family and private homes.
- June 12, 15, 16, 18: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. (except June 16th the drive will take place from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.) at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate.
- June 14: The Larchmont Fire Department will be hosting a blood drive open to the public from 1 to 6 p.m. You can schedule an appointment or just walk in!
- June 15: The Long Island Red Cross is hosting their Heroes Among Us Gala. The event will take place at The Carltun in East Meadow, NY from 7 p.m. to midnight, attire is black tie (optional) with a touch of red.
- June 16: We will partner with the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) and FDNY Foundation to help "Sound the Alarm" by installing free smoke alarms in Staten Island. Learn more by clicking here.