Long Island Red Cross and partners at the emergency preparedness event
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 118 adults and 70 children following 42 local responses/events. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (see below)
Last Week In Review
- On Saturday, Red Cross NY volunteers and Citi partnered to assemble 2,000 Service to the Armed Forces comfort kits.
- Also on Saturday, the FDNY emphasized the importance of working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in a new video.
- June 1 marked the start of National CPR and AED Awareness Week! When it comes to cardiac arrest, every second counts. Learn how you can develop the skills needed to act in an emergency and help save lives.
- On Friday, the official start of hurricane season, we joined our Long Island partners to highlight the importance of emergency preparedness efforts before a hurricane strikes.
- With the start of hurricane season, Facebook and the American Red Cross have teamed up to ensure that people are prepared. More than 1.5 million people have joined groups related to hurricane-relief efforts.
- Local volunteers Ross Ogden and Mary Raucho were honored as Red Cross heroes at the Greenwich Town Party for their years of humanitarian efforts and continued devotion to the organization. Congrats!
- For Memorial Day weekend: the Red Cross and Bronx DAT team provided coffee and donuts to over 90 Vietnam Veterans and their families; the NYC Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) team was at the Intrepid with pet therapy dogs from the Hudson Valley Paws for a Cause; and the Long Island SAF team continued their annual flag placement tradition at the Calverton Cemetery.
- June 8, 11: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate.
- June 10: A free home fire alarm installation event will be taking place this Sunday, June 10, from 10 AM to 2:30 PM! This service is available for Queens residents living in Woodside, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, and Flushing.
- June 15: The Long Island Red Cross is hosting their Heroes Among Us Gala. The event will take place at The Carltun in East Meadow, NY from 7:00 pm to midnight, attire is black tie (optional) with a touch of red.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.