Guests at the 'Heroes Among Us' Gala (Photo: Lori Ann Pizarelli)
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 162 adults and 47 children following 47 local responses/events. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (see below)
Last Week In Review
- On Friday night, the Long Island Red Cross hosted their ‘Heroes Among Us’ Gala honoring local heroes and partner organizations for their commitment to giving back. Check out News 12 coverage of the event. Also, radio station WBAB featured one of the night’s honorees, John Ash, on their weekly segment, ‘First Responder Fridays.’
- Over the weekend on Staten Island our home fire team volunteers partnered with the FDNY, taking part in their open house and installing free smoke alarms in the borough.
- Red Cross volunteers were out supporting the Queens 10k in Flushing Meadows Corona Park. They prepped ice bags before the race and served as medical spotters at the finish line.
- A man is being hailed as a hero for saving his neighbor from a fire in Brooklyn, Greater NY Red Cross volunteers assisted eight people living in the building.
- Metro NY North Red Cross volunteers assisted 9 families, 19 adults and 7 children, who were displaced by a tragic home fire. No injuries were reported.
- Last week our dedicated volunteer Vivian Moy spoke at PS244Q, educating first and second graders about her experience volunteering with the Greater NY Red Cross.
- Are you the #MissingType? American Red Cross launched their national #MissingTypes social media campaign promoting the need for more new blood donors. Celebrities, major companies, politicians, and others have taken part in the campaign.
- Teens learned what it takes to become a certified babysitter! The program took place at the Brentwood Public Library over the weekend.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- June 18-25: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. There are also multiple other locations and time frames for each day. Schedule an appointment to donate.
- June 24: Red Cross Greater New York Chapter is hosting the annual Volunteer Recognition Event, Sunday, June 24th at 11:00 am at Battery Gardens (downtown Manhattan) inside Battery Park. At this event, we will recognize the contributions of our volunteers.