GNY Red Cross CEO Josh Lockwood with IFRC President Francesco Rocca
Last Week in Review
- Our Sound the Alarm program was in full effect over the weekend! U.S. Rep. Yvette Clarke led volunteers installing free smoke alarms for residents in Brooklyn. Red Cross Home Fire volunteers also installed more than 60 smoke alarms in Suffolk County.
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) President Francesco Rocca visited the Greater NY Red Cross for a meet-and-greet and Q & A session highlighting the inspiring global work of volunteers.
- We are delighted to hear that all 12 boys and their soccer coach were successfully rescued from the flooded cave in northern Thailand. Special thanks to the Thai Red Cross for their efforts in providing support and care to first responders throughout the rescue operation.
- The Metro New York North Red Cross board of directors has adopted Camp Arifjan, a United States Army installation in Kuwait, providing comfort kits from home to express their gratitude to these service members.
- Winners of the last April’s Red & White Ball live auction had the opportunity to golf with Ron Howard at the Greenwich Country Club.
- Red Cross volunteers helped distribute food to hundreds of patrons at the Brentwood Public Library in Brentwood, NY.
- After a fire in late May in Elmhurst, Queens left Zaydah Abdghull feeling hopeless, she received comfort and care from the Red Cross.
- We are still in need of blood donors! There is currently a blood shortage and all types of blood are wanted. However, Type O in particular is critically needed!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- July 16-23: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan and other locations. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- July 19- 21: Our Blue Sky Summer Camp is open for all Greater New York Red Cross employees, interns, and volunteers. This is an opportunity to meet your fellow team members, gain new skills, hone old ones, and have FUN! A sampling of workshops include: Blue Sky NYC Ops, Excel 101, PA 101, LFO and Cultural Sensitivity.
- November 4: The American Red Cross Greater New York Region is proud to Run for the Red in November at the TCS New York City Marathon. Come be a part of Team Red Cross and sign up by Thursday, September 13! Space is limited, so secure your spot today! For more information, contact Bob Estremera at NYCmarathon@redcross.org or 212-875-2091.