Team Red Cross and supporters at Tough Mudder in Long Island (Photo: Vivian Moy)
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 144 adults and 32 children following 44 events/responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- After a steam pipe exploded beneath Manhattan's Flatiron District last week, Red Cross volunteers were on the scene. They opened a reception center serving dozens of individuals, worked closely with NYC emergency management and utility partners to assess the situation, and served beverages and snacks to first responders.
- Yesterday, after a fire in Yonkers displaced 4 families (16 adults and 4 children), Metro NY North volunteers responded by opening a temporary Reception Center at a local deli and providing emergency financial assistance, support, and referrals.
- On Saturday, Red Cross employees and volunteers participated in Tough Mudder Long Island. The team completed a 10-mile course with 20 muddy obstacles to raise awareness/money for disaster relief and to strengthen teamwork. You can still donate here: https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/red-cross-mudders-disaster-relief
- Last weekend in Babylon LI Red Cross participated in the Wounded Warrior Soldier Ride, an event created in support of veterans and wounded service members. We are so proud of all who participated in the 25-mile ride!
- Our three-day Blue Sky Summer Camp for Greater NY Red Cross employees, interns, and volunteers took place over the weekend. This was an opportunity to meet fellow team members, gain new skills, take part in various trainings, and have FUN!
- Courses offered at the Blue Sky Summer Camp included, Mobile Command Center vehicle training and Emergency Response Vehicle training.
- Greater NY Red Cross staff took the time on Thursday to personally call and thank all the Home Fire volunteers for their dedicated service. These individuals were recognized for helping install more than 27,000 free smoke alarms over these past 12 months.
- PJ Dearden, the Chief Culture and Conduct Officer at JP Morgan Chase, stopped by on Thursday to speak to our volunteers and employees as part of our Leadership Academy lecture series.
- Check out our latest #MyRedCrossLife post about Noelle Frix's work with the Reconnecting Family Links (RFL) on our Instagram!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- July 23, 24, 27, 28: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan and other locations. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- July 25: The 2018 Long Island Red Cross Volunteer Recognition: An annual event to acknowledge and thank our amazing volunteers and community partners.
- November 4: The American Red Cross Greater New York Region is proud to Run for the Red in November at the TCS New York City Marathon. Come be a part of Team Red Cross! Sign up by Thursday, September 13! Space is limited, so secure your spot today! For more information, contact Bob Estremera at NYCmarathon@redcross.org or 212-875-2091.