|New Red Cross interns and volunteers participate in Saturday's
"Sound the Alarm" Home Fire Campaign in which they installed
smoke detectors in various homes.
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 213 adults and 82 children following 72 disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (see below)
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, ABC7 aired its annual Save-a-Life special during which we were featured. The piece documented the work of two inspiring Red Cross fire safety volunteers: Jesennia Rodriguez and Greg Davidson.
- On Saturday, over 50 Red Cross volunteers, supported by Councilman Robert Holden, helped #EndHomeFires by installing free smoke alarms in different parts of Queens as part of our Sound the Alarm fire safety initiative.
- Long Island Red Cross CEO Neela Lockel wrote an Op-Ed for Long Island Herald newspapers on the importance of blood donations during National Blood Donor month.
- On Friday, we were happy to host the strategic planning retreat for the Anne Frank Center for Mutual Respect and Aly Sterling Philanthrophy.
- On Thursday, we were back prepping children and parents of WIN, the largest provider of shelter for homeless women and children in New York City, for emergency situations ranging from hurricane awareness to fire safety.
- The Long Island Mass Care volunteer team held a tabletop exercise to test their response to an extreme winter storm event. #AlwaysBeTraining
- For MLK Day, we were proud to partner with NYC Service and AmeriCorps to install free smoke alarms and provide fire safety education to the community.
- Earlier in the day, Metro New York North volunteers were on the scene of a fire in Scarsdale providing canteening support for first responders.
- To start off the week, our own Communications Officer, Abigail Adams appeared on Sway Calloway's SiriusXM Shade 45 show to talk about the importance of blood donations!
Upcoming Events & Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Volunteer Screener, Home Fire Campaign Team Member, Disaster Action Team Member, Recruitment Support Member, Recovery Caseworker, Mass Care Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jan. 29, Feb 1, 4: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today!
- Jan 29: Councilmembers Adrienne Adams and I. Daneek Miller are hosting a Fire Safety & Emergency Preparedness Forum at the Family Life Center in Jamaica, NY from 6:30 to 8:00 PM with FDNY, NYC Emergency Management and the Greater New York Red Cross. Contact Margaret Denson at 718-776-3700 for more information.
- Feb 18: We are holding a 2-hour class on the history of the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The course will take a close look at these humanitarian principles as well as the history of the movement this past century.
- Feb 19: Learn about the mission and vision of the American Red Cross and the many volunteer opportunities that are available for you in Westchester County and beyond. Join us in our Hawthrone, NY office from 6:30 to 8:00 PM to learn more!
- Feb 28: The Studley School of International Affairs is hosting a conversation entitled, Becoming Humanitarian: The Making of an ICRC Delegate. The discussion will feature former ICRC delegate and current fellow at the New School for Social Research, Monique J. Beerli.