|Thomas R. Murphy 1947-2019 (Photo: Steven Thorne, American Red Cross)|
Last Week in Review
- It was with great sadness that we recently learned of the passing of longtime American Red Cross in Greater NY volunteer and dear friend, Tom Murphy. On behalf of the Red Cross, our deepest condolences to Tom’s family and friends. He will be greatly missed.
- Our very own Barry Ritter was recognized last week as the New Yorker of the Week by NY1 for his Red Cross volunteer work!
- Over the weekend, Long Island Red Cross volunteers assisted 19 displaced residents with recovery resources and compassion on a cold, rainy night after a house fire in Glen Cove.
- On Thursday, following a tragic fire in New Hyde Park that claimed the life of a 4-year old and her grandmother, the Red Cross fanned out in the area to neighboring homes offer free smoke alarm installations and fire safety education.
- Also on Thursday Red Cross team members visited Assemblyman Richard N. Gottfried, an ardent supporter and a true champion of the American Red Cross in Greater New York, to report out on another record-breaking year for the American Red Cross.
- Throughout the week, the Red Cross continued to assist Chinatown residents displaced by a fire on New Year’s Eve. Special thanks to our partner group Tzu Chi NY who has helped with these efforts.
- Watch this video of our CEO Josh Lockwood previous week’s chat with NBC4’s Gus Rosendale about the work of the Red Cross in 2018.
Upcoming Events & Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Volunteer Screener, Home Fire Campaign Team Member, Disaster Action Team Member, Recruitment Support Member, Recovery Caseworker, Mass Care Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January is National Blood Donor Month and we are partnering with NYC Service to recruit volunteers to help #SaveLives at blood drives.
- Jan. 11, 12, 14, 15: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today!
- Jan. 13: The American Red Cross is heading to the #Bronx to install FREE smoke alarms and provide fire safety information to area residents. Sign up today for your FREE smoke alarm by calling 877-REDCROSS or visiting soundthealarm.org/NYC.
- Jan. 19: Get your tickets today for the Fine Wine & Food Festival on Long Island. FWFF has once again partnered up with the American Red Cross through its Corks for Charity program and will donate a portion of all ticket proceeds to Disaster Relief.
- Jan 26: The American Red Cross is heading to #Queens to install FREE smoke alarms and provide fire safety information to area residents. Sign up today for your FREE smoke alarm by calling 877-REDCROSS or visiting soundthealarm.org/NYC.
- Feb 18: We are holding a 2-hour class on the history of the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and how they were developed based on the Movement’s experience responding to suffering and needs over the previous century.
- Apr 15: Would you like to run the Boston Marathon for a good cause? Join the American Red Cross Runners on a Mission at the 2019 Boston Marathon. Be a part of our team and run to help deliver hope to those in their greatest time of need. Apply on our website: www.redcross.org/teamredcrossboston or email email@example.com.