|Pillowcase Project Presenters brought emergency preparedness education to the Big Apple Academy.|
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 142 adults and 41 children following 46 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Late last month, our CEO, Josh Lockwood, sat down with New York State Senator Joe Addabbo for his Legislative Report TV program to discuss the mission, daily work, successes and challenges of the Greater New York Red Cross.
- On our blog, we shared the story of Cassandra Philip who awoke, last November, to the site of flames and smoke in her Crown Heights home of 15 years.
- The Queens Chronicle published an article featuring our Queens Disaster Program Manager, Gary Chin, and his tenacious efforts over the last five weeks to promote our Sound the Alarm campaign during a recent spike in home fires.
- On Thursday, volunteers and staff members at our Long Island Chapter held a Mass Care tabletop simulation of a mass-casualty incident.
- Early morning on the same day, lohud.com reported that a retaining wall collapsed in a Yonkers apartment forcing residents from their homes. Red Cross volunteers provided emergency assistance to two families who needed a place to stay.
- The Community Development Corp of LI (CDCLI) kicked off their fire safety partnership with us in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
- Continuing with our ongoing #MyRedCrossLife Instagram series: last week we featured Vanessa Greco, the recipient of our 2018 Service to the Armed Forces Award. Vanessa shared her philosophy on volunteerism.
- On Monday at the Big Apple Academy, the Red Cross delivered our Emergency Preparedness program for kids, the “Pillowcase Project”, to their 3rd, 4th and 5th graders!
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Volunteer Screener, Home Fire Campaign Team Member, Disaster Action Team Member, Recruitment Support Member, Recovery Caseworker. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- Feb 19, 22, 23, 25: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today!
- Feb 19: Learn about the mission and vision of the American Red Cross and the many volunteer opportunities that are available for you in Westchester County and beyond. Join us at our Hawthorne, NY office from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. to learn more!
- Feb 28: The Studley School of International Affairs is hosting a conversation entitled, Becoming Humanitarian: The Making of an ICRC Delegate (6 to 8 pm.). The discussion will feature former ICRC delegate and current fellow at the New School for Social Research, Monique J. Beerli.
- Mar 2: Want to become one of our amazing volunteers? We are hosting an Open House event with free trainings and fun activities. Join us from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in our NYC headquarters.
- Mar 16: Learn about the mission and vision of the American Red Cross and the many volunteer opportunities that are available for you on Long Island. Join us in our LI office in Mineola, NY, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. to learn more!