|Red Cross distributing emergency supplies to California residents as part of Wildfire relief. (Photo: Ronnie Rigos)|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 76 adults and 26 children for 37 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
Last Week in Review
- Last week we deployed six team members from the Greater NY Region to support the response to Hurricane Delta. Delta is the fourth named storm to hit Louisiana this hurricane season.
- The Red Cross continues to respond to several other large-scale disasters across the country and our team members continue to support these relief operations. This includes our Joe Spaccarelli and Ronnie Rigos who are helping with wildfire responses in California and Cedric Davoren who is in Oregon.
- On Saturday The East Hampton Star interviewed Long Island Red Cross CEO Neela Mukherjee Lockel about our Hurricane Reserve Corps.
- Last week we observed Fire Prevention Week by sharing common kitchen mistakes and safety tips
- We live-streamed several Pillowcase Project preparedness events for children. The virtual events were co-hosted by Assembly Member Michaelle Solages, Senator Kevin Thomas and Assembly woman Kimberly Jean-Pierre.
- We also offered two Prepare, Respond, Recover training virtually, these events were co-hosted by Speaker of the New York State Assembly Carl E. Heastie. and Council Member Donovan Richards.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Ready Red Cross Shelter Volunteer, Hurricane Season Reserve Corps Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- October 22: Prepare, Respond, Recover is a free virtual training about what you and your community can do when natural and man-made disasters strike. Register for an online session here.
- Oct 20, 21, 28: The Pillowcase Project is a free virtual emergency preparedness education class that teaches children (ages 7-12) about emergency preparedness. Register for an online session here.
- Oct 14, 26: Hurricane Readiness NY Volunteer Opportunities Information Sessions for new volunteers needed for this active hurricane season. Register for an online session here.
- Oct 15: The Even War Has Rules class is a dynamic discussion of International Humanitarian Law (IHL), and how it governs armed conflict. Register for an online session here.