|Volunteer Vivian Moy, recipient of the NY State Senate Commendation Award|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 51 adults and 29 children for 39 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- On Friday, we shared a post from the American Red Cross California Gold Country Region who recently chatted with Greater NY team member Joe Spaccarelli who spent several weeks in California supporting the Red Cross response to massive wildfires out West.
- Thursday, our new CEO Mary Barneby demonstrated how quick and easy it is to donate blood.
- Last week we celebrated Global Handwashing Day, an annual observance more relevant than ever due to COVID-19.
- Volunteer Vivian Moy was recognized last Tuesday by NY State Senator Anna M. Kaplan. Vivian received the NY Senate Commendation Award for her efforts to help neighbors in need. Vivian is currently working as a DES (Distribution of Emergency Supplies) volunteer in Louisiana, helping those affected by Hurricane Delta.
- We offered two Prepare, Respond and Recover trainings virtually last week. These events were made possible by NYC Council Member Terrence McSweeney, NY State Senator Roxanne J. Persaud, NY State Assemblywoman Jaime Williams and NYC Councilman Alan Maisel.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Ready Red Cross Shelter Volunteer, Hurricane Season Reserve Corps Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- October 22: Prepare, Respond, Recover is a free virtual training about what you and your community can do when natural and man-made disasters strike. Register for an online session here.
- Oct 20, 21, 27, 28: The Pillowcase Project is a free virtual emergency preparedness education class that teaches children (ages 7-12) about emergency preparedness. Register for an online session here.
- Oct 21: The Leadership Volunteer Information Session for volunteers who wish to learn more about training to work on a large-scale disaster relief operation. Register here.
- Oct 26: Hurricane Readiness NY Volunteer Opportunities Information Sessions for new volunteers needed for this active hurricane season. Register for an online session here.