|This year's Clara Barton Award Recipients: (L to R) Diane Calesso, Shirley Leung, Dr. Thomas Hlenski|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 91 adults and 37 children for 43 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- With Thanksgiving fast approaching, we posted tips on how you can keep your family safe for the holidays.
- For our "Three Questions" blog series, we talked to volunteer Ignacio Mantilla about his recent work supporting wildfire relief out West.
- Have you had a chance to listen to our podcast lately? Over the past few months, we’ve recorded a new season: “COVID Conversations” with 5 episodes featuring a diverse group of Red Cross volunteers and employees who discuss the impact that the pandemic is having on the communities we serve.
- Last Thursday, we celebrated our volunteers at our annual volunteer recognition event. Among the 50+ volunteers recognized were our Clara Barton Awardees for Meritorious Volunteer Leadership: Shirley Leung (NYC), Dr. Thomas Hlenski (Long Island) and Diane Calesso (Metro NY North). You can watch the entire virtual event here.
- We continued to celebrate the journey of volunteer Ross Ogden’s remarkable 60 years of service with this video.
- Last Wednesday, CBS2 New York reported on how the Red Cross assisted several families after a large fire in Far Rockaway (Queens).
- On Tuesday, Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano co-hosted a virtual presentation with our Community Outreach team highlighting how the residents can better prepare, respond and recover from local disasters.
- We were so honored to present the American Red Cross Certificate of Merit to Ron Petrie. Ron used his CPR/First Aid training to save a life on the golf course.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Service to the Armed Forces Caseworker, Blood Donor Ambassador, Pet Therapy Volunteer. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- Nov 30, Dec 10: Prepare, Respond, Recover is a free virtual training about what you and your community can do when natural and man-made disasters strike. Register for an online session here.