|Celebrated Volunteer Hector Pereira helping to get water to those in need.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 56 adults and 21 children for 30 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- On Friday our amazing volunteer Hector Pereira received the 2020 “Lo Mejor de Nuestra Comunidad” Award. This award honors Puerto Ricans whose pride in their heritage and strength of character have empowered themselves and inspired others to make a significant impact in the community.
- This weekend we reminded people to “Turn and Test”: test your smoke alarms while you turn back your clocks. Home fires claim seven lives every day but having working smoke alarms can cut the risk of death by half.
- We shared ideas on how to have fun on Halloween without trick or treating.
- The New York Fire Department posted an amazing #TBT with this photo of Red Cross responders at the scene of a 3-alarm fire in 1968.
- Macy’s celebrated Red Cross first responders on Wednesday. The company has donated to the Red Cross for many years, and recognized how difficult 2020 has been.
- We also held two Pillowcase Project virtual workshops for kids, in partnership with NY State Assemblyman J. Gary Pretlow and NY State Senators John Brooks and Andrea Stewart-Cousins.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Ready Red Cross Shelter Volunteer and Hurricane Season Reserve Corps Volunteer. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- Nov 9: The Pillowcase Project is a free virtual emergency preparedness education class that teaches children (ages 7-12) about emergency preparedness. Register for an online session here.
- Nov 17: Our Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes presentation will give you the knowledge to sustain yourself, your family, your neighbors and community in the event of a man-made or natural disaster. Register here.
- Nov 10: Disaster Response 2020: COVID-19, Hurricanes, Wildfires Presentation co-hosted by Brad Kieserman, Vice President of Disaster Operations & Logistics for the American Red Cross. Register here.