|Photo: Vivian Moy|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 83 adults and 31 children for 32 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Did you know that our team members speak more than 60 different languages? Last week we published a web story about how NY Red Cross volunteers and employees use their diverse language skills to help local residents cope with the traumatic aftermath of disasters.
- In the latest episode of our “COVID-19 Conversations” podcast series, we spoke with Asia-Pacific Division Manager for our Service to Armed Forces Program from Yokota Air Base outside of Tokyo. She talked about the difficulties faced by military communities during the pandemic and how the Red Cross has adapted our work to address these new challenges.
- Happy Charter Day! Last Thursday, we celebrated the 106th anniversary of the founding of the Greenwich Chapter of the American Red Cross. Today, Greenwich serves as the headquarters for our Metro New York North Chapter.
- For Veterans Day, the Red Cross was proud to be part of a small Central Park ceremony paying tribute to women who serve and who have served our nation. CBS2 News filed this report on the event.
- For Veterans Day, we posted this note from our Regional CEO recognizing all who serve.
- Red Cross volunteers also honored veterans at the Bronx VA Medical Center by distributing care packages, winter clothing, and snacks!
Upcoming Events and Activities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Ready Red Cross Shelter Volunteer. Volunteer. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- Nov 9: The Pillowcase Project is a free virtual emergency preparedness education class that teaches children (ages 7-12) about emergency preparedness. Register for an online session here.
- Nov 17: Prepare, Respond, Recover is a free virtual training about what you and your community can do when natural and man-made disasters strike. Register for an online session here.
- Nov 24: Hurricane Readiness NY Volunteer Opportunity Information Sessions for new volunteers. Register for an online session here.