|Red Crossers spreading holiday cheer to service members and the community. (Photo: Vivian Moy)|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 145 adults and 49 children for 58 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- NBC New York and News 12 Brooklyn/Bronx both featured the inspiring work of our staff and volunteers in 2020 in recent news stories.
- This weekend Newsday highlighted the work of the Red Cross following a large apartment fire in Ronkonkoma.
- On New Year’s Day, the Red Cross Metro NY North provided emergency assistance following a tragic fire in Yonkers as was reported by lohud.com.
- Read about Mass Care and Logistics Manager Cedric Davoren’s eight-week deployment last fall to support the Red Cross response to the historic wildfires in Oregon in this blog post published last week.
- This “Images of 2020” Facebook gallery highlighted how our volunteers, employees, and donors made a difference for thousands of people near and far over the past year.
- In our latest #MyRedCrossLife Instagram series, volunteer Maria Anguiano got emotional recalling a recent disaster response that involved a young boy and his sister.
- In a new blog post, Red Cross volunteer Celia Vollmer shared how she and the Disaster Action Team responded to multiple fires across Long Island right before the holidays and how they tried to spread holiday cheer despite the adversity these families faced.
- Red Cross Elves were busy spreading holiday cheer to service members and the community in Greenwich, the Bronx and Long Island.
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Service to the Armed Forces Caseworker, Blood Donor Ambassador, Pet Therapy Volunteer. Apply today at redcross.org/volunteertoday! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- Jan 16: At this virtual Volunteer Information Session, you will learn about the brief history of the American Red Cross and how you can become a volunteer.
- Sign up for an upcoming blood drive below at www.redcrossblood.org.
- Jan 11: Veterans Memorial Bldg, 216 Halstead Ave
- Jan 12: American Red Cross in Greater New York, 520 West 49th Street
- Jan 13: Paramount Hudson Valley, 1008 Brown Street
- Jan 14: The Redwood Club, 2680 Schurz Ave.
- Jan 14: American Legion Post 347, Flint Park, 1 Locust Ave.
- Jan 15: American Red Cross, 40 Saw Mill River Road, Upper Level 3