|Greater NY Board Chair, John Osborn, with Tracy Morgan and DMC and other |
Red Crossers at NY International Auto Show. (Photo: Dan Neiman)
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 190 adults and 46 children following 53 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
Last Week in Review
- Yesterday marked the start of National Volunteer Week, a time to recognize those who make our work possible.
- Earlier in the week, the President of the United States proclaimed April 17 through April 23, 2022, as National Volunteer Week.
- In advance of National Volunteer Week, the Greenwich Sentinel ran an OpEd from our Metro NY North CEO Stephanie Dunn Ashley.
- Yesterday, John Osborn, our Greater NY Board Chair, spoke at the opening ceremony of the New York International Auto Show, where he accepted a donation to support International Red Cross teams providing humanitarian relief in Ukraine and neighboring countries. See more photos from our volunteer photographer Dan Neiman here.
- On Friday morning, Patch reported that the Red Cross assisted residents displaced by a fatal fire at 78 Mulberry Street in Chinatown.
- Last week, we shared the story of Haley Nivelle, a recent blood donor, who explained why she believes people should consider donating.
- Last week, we shared the touching story of Lou Cousens, a veteran from New Rochelle who turned to the Red Cross after a fire last February forced him from his home of 30+ years. Here is what he said about one of our volunteers who helped him.
- Apr 19: Join us for a Volunteer Info Session to learn about our many volunteer opportunities and how you can apply.
- Apr 23: Join the Red Cross at the Red & White Ball, A Salute to Service and Valor. We are honoring General Mark A. Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Mrs. Hollyanne Milley for their lifetime of service; humanitarians Colleen and Philip Hempleman; and corporate leaders Carlson & Carlson.
- Learn how you can become a volunteer home fire campaign team member. These individuals install smoke alarms and educate residents about fire safety.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.