|Red Cross setting up at the Babylon Soldier Ride|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 118 adults and 26 children following 43 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Thanks to our Long Island team members who supported the Wounded Warrior Project's 16th annual Babylon Soldier Ride, assisting and celebrating our nation’s heroes.
- State Senator Iwen Chu helped to “Sound the Alarm” about home fires with a press conference.
- Recently, our preparedness team member and international delegate, Jason Lyons spoke to the summer interns at the Simon Wiesenthal Center in New York about his experience working with the American Red Cross domestically and internationally.
- Our Disaster Health Team and volunteers are continuing to assist displaced residents from historical Northeast flooding. CNN, ABC7, and Spectrum News reported the American Red Cross GNY’s efforts to staff shelters, pass out essentials, and provide emergency funding.
- Blood Donation Spotlight: This was Cadet Nadia Lape’s second time donating at the United States Military Academy at West Point, giving blood at every opportunity.
- Learn more about how marathon runner Barb Karus supports the Red Cross by running in the upcoming NYC Marathon in November.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- July 19, 22: Join us at our Blood Drive with BC Insurance Agency and Blood Drive at American Legion Post 274. Schedule to donate using sponsor code: BNC (19th) or WLGS (22nd).
- NYC Civic Corps is accepting applications for an open AmeriCorps position. View the position details here.
- Become a Donor Center Phlebotomist at the Jill and John Coyle Blood Donor Center in Greenwich, Conn. Click here to apply!
- October 26: Get tickets for the Long Island Heroes Celebration: the signature fundraising event for the American Red Cross on Long Island.