|Red Cross responded to a fire on Holland Avenue in the
Williamsbridge section of The Bronx.
(Photo: Síle Moloney/Norwood News)
From January 16 to 22, the American Red Cross in Greater New York provided emergency assistance to 249 adults and 77 children following 51 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from the past week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- #LIRedCross volunteer and Brentwood resident Celia Vollmer was featured as a Hometown Hero in Newsday.
- The Norwood News reported on a fire last Thursday on Holland Ave in the Bronx where the Red Cross assisted 3 families.
- Last Wednesday, CBS NY spoke with disaster responder Franddy Rodriguez supporting residents after a floor collapse in Queens Village.
- Last Tuesday, News 12 reported on the Red Cross assisting 20 families in the Tremont section of the Bronx.
- On the 15th Anniversary of the Miracle on the Hudson, Red Crossers celebrated with passengers of Flight 1549.
- Last Monday, #LIRedCrossers responded to an electrical fire in Centereach where they assisted four families displaced from their home.
- A big THANK YOU to our volunteers who have deployed to help our neighbors in New Jersey after winter storms brought flooding to several parts of the state.
- The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Patch and Brooklyn Paper reported on our team working with the FDNY and FDNY Foundation to install over 100 free smoke alarms in Brooklyn for #MLKDayofService.
- Last week, the #LIRedCross held a Shelter Simulation training at Brentwood Union Free School District to learn how to manage a shelter in a disaster.
- What’s one goal you’d like to achieve this year? How about giving a few hours of your time to help people in your community by signing up to volunteer with us!
- Jan 27: Come join us at the In Person Volunteer Open House to discuss our open volunteer positions, answer questions and assist with the volunteer application process. Snacks will be provided after the presentation.
- Feb 5-8: Mark your calendars for the upcoming Red Cross Blood Drive at West Point Military Academy.
- Mar 6: Join us in Manhattan as the American Red Cross recognizes civic leaders and heroic individuals who embody our humanitarian mission at the annual Red Cross Heroes Gala.