|Red Cross volunteers Jonathan Liles and Mary Cueva pack up smoke alarms in preparation for a Home Fire Campaign installation appointment in the Bronx. (Photo: Frederic Klein)
Last Week in Review
- January is National Blood Donor Month, and Bronx mom Irene Guanill hosts three blood drives per year with the Red Cross in honor of her late son, Jason, who loved to donate blood.
- News12, NY1, and other media outlets shared that the Red Cross is experiencing a blood shortage, as the number of people donating blood is the lowest it's been in 20 years.
- Our Long Island CEO Jose Dominguez attended the Long Island Association State of the Region event alongside our board member Ming Chiang of Hello Taiwan last Friday.
- Our Greater New York Disaster Action Team had quite a long day of activity on New Year’s Eve. Read about it here.
- Last week, we published an article about volunteer Jonathan Liles’ second shift as a Home Fire Campaign installer.
- Last Wednesday, the Bronx Times and CBS2 reported on the Red Cross providing emergency assistance to a family after a tragic fire on Barnes Avenue in the Bronx.
- News12 reported on a fire in the Highbridge section of the Bronx where the Red Cross helped 5 displaced families.
- The Rockland Report posted an article about the Metro NY North Chapter announcing its 2024 Red & White Ball Co-Chairs, Committee, and Honorees.
- EMERGENCY BLOOD SHORTAGE: The Red Cross blood supply has fallen to critically low levels. Your blood or platelet donation is needed now to help alleviate the shortage and ensure lifesaving medical procedures are not delayed. Don’t wait – sign up to donate.
- Jan 12: Join national Red Cross leaders Brad Kieserman, Jennifer Pipa, and Koby Langley at a Special Town Hall Meeting. They will provide an update on operations across the country, share their vision for 2024, and answer your questions. RSVP via this link.
- Jan 27: Come join us at the In Person Volunteer Open House to discuss our open volunteer positions, answer questions and assist with the volunteer application process. Snacks will be provided after the presentation.