|Red Cross Volunteer Vivian Moy at the Long Island Red Cross.|
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, the Red Cross partnered with Tzu Chi Foundation in New York to install 149 free smoke alarms in 43 homes in Queens! Special thanks to the volunteer teams who made a tremendous impact.
- On Friday, Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro and the Red Cross held a fire safety event to encourage Brooklyn residents to sign up for free smoke alarm installations.
- On Thursday, we posted a recap of the previous week’s response to the tragic building explosion in Borough Park (Brooklyn).
- On Wednesday, the Red Cross stood alongside New York City’s First Lady Chirlane McCray to commemorate the 501st and final home repaired after Hurricane Sandy through the LISC’s Neighborhood Revitalization NYC Home Repair Program, which the Red Cross and other partners helped to fund.
- Also on Wednesday, NYC Council Member Mark Treyger, invited the Red Cross to speak about the importance of preparedness to Coney Island residents.
- Long Island Red Cross volunteer Vivian Moy described the challenges of operating a Red Cross shelter in Port Washington in our ongoing #MyRedCrossLife Instagram series.
- On Tuesday, the Metro New York North Red Cross with Yonkers OEM was on scene of a fire that had displaced three families (seven adults and three children). Emergency assistance was provided to all.
- Win a Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit by taking the online emergency preparedness training. You’ll be automatically entered to win. This contest is open to residents of New York City, Long Island, Orange, Sullivan, Rockland, Putnam and Westchester Counties. Four winners will be chosen each month (notified via email).
- Oct 12, 15: Red Cross blood drives; 1 to 7pm; 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Oct 13, 15, 21: For Red Cross volunteers, sign up for one of our Home Fire Safety Academy Level I training dates. We’ll cover the basics of fire safety education and each of the technician roles needed for our Home Fire Preparedness Campaign. This is the best way to get prepared for our October 24th Installation Event. Check out the training calendar and register here!
- Oct 14: Greater New York will be hosting the American Red Cross Gala, honoring our heroes.
- Oct 17: On Saturday, volunteers and staff will gather throughout our region for our Full Scale Exercise – New York Shakes. In this exercise, we’ll confront the impact that this catastrophic event would have throughout our region. Whether you’re taking on a leadership role or exploring something new, this is an incredible opportunity to practice and to learn. Red Cross volunteers can sign up for a role here.