|Mayor Bill de Blasio: "The Red Cross is there to pick up people’s lives and we in government depend on them all the time...we’re thrilled to be partnering with them here to reach so many people."|
Last Week in Review
- Coinciding with Sunday night’s episode of The Walking Dead, volunteer Catherine Kinney published a fun blog post on “What the Walking Dead cast would have done differently today if they had the Red Cross Emergency App.”
- On Saturday, Metro NY North volunteers gathered in Greenwich, CT to pre-canvass the Byram neighborhood for our Home Fire Preparedness Campaign in preparation for our November 14th Smoke Alarm installation event.
- Also this weekend in Goshen, NY, 18 people gathered to learn about the Red Cross mission and ways to give back to the community as part of the all-day Disaster Institute. The institute was led and taught by our dedicated volunteers and staff.
- On Friday, the VA NY Harbor Healthcare System highlighted a gift of twenty frames for use by the Art Therapy program at VA's Manhattan Campus from the Red Cross.
- We also shared the story of the Torres family who found themselves homeless after an explosion and fire severely damaged their Borough Park (Brooklyn) apartment building and what Red Cross aid has meant to them.
- On Monday, the Red Cross and City Partners announced an historic partnership, #GetAlarmedNYC, to help install free smoke alarms in tens of thousands of homes in New York City.
- Late last month, as part of their “2015 Pepsico Gives Back” events, employees of Pepsico volunteered to clean cots to be used in disaster shelters.
- Win a Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit by taking the online emergency preparedness training. You’ll be automatically entered to win. This contest is open to residents of New York City, Long Island, Orange, Sullivan, Rockland, Putnam and Westchester Counties. Four winners will be chosen each month (notified via email).
- Nov 9, 10: Red Cross blood drives; 1 to 7pm; 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Nov 11: Join the American Red Cross as it marches in America's Parade on Wednesday. The parade kicks off at Madison Park on 26th Street and Fifth Avenue and marches north along Fifth Avenue to 53rd Street. For Red Cross volunteers, who wish to march in honor of America's veterans, please email SAFGNY@redcross.org.
- Nov 14: The Red Cross, Mayor, and the FDNY Foundation announced our #GetAlarmedNYC Home Fire Campaign. Our campaign needs volunteer support to staff Daily Installation Teams every week as well as an exciting Mega Event in the Bronx, on November 14th. Sign up for a Home Fire Campaign shift today (link for Red Cross Volunteers).