|"Touch a Truck" Community Event at Brentwood Library
Last Week in Review
- The Red Cross responded to a raging 4-alarm fire Sunday night in the Far Rockaways by opening a reception center and providing emergency support for the families that had to evacuate the 7-story apartment. Volunteer Vivian Moy provided this harrowing account from a young second grader who lost her home that night.
- The NY Air National Guard's Bravo Company 642 Aviation Support Battalion (ASB) hosted a Round Robin' Expo on Sunday for emergency response agencies to improve future coordination efforts during disasters or emergencies.
- On Saturday, the Long Island Red Cross participated in a very fun “Touch A Truck” community event held by the Brentwood Library.
- Six Metro NY North Red Crossers were at the New Windsor Gardens Complex visiting 66 Homes where a total of 144 Smoke Alarms were installed and 133 Residents were given fire safety and hurricane prep tips. Good work team!
- We are so proud of our four legged volunteers who were recently featured on petMD for their amazing work supporting military members and their families.
- News12 Brooklyn spoke with Red Cross about back-to-school safety tips. Stay safe everyone!
- On Thursday, the Long Island Red Cross hosted the first annual LI Disaster Recovery Networking Expo for over a dozen social service agencies to better coordinate and collaborate on serving and helping our clients.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Sept 11, 14, 17: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan and other locations. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Oct 10: Join us for the annual American Red Cross: Heroes Among Us gala at the Ziegfeld Ballroom to celebrate the civic leaders and heroic individuals who embody our humanitarian mission.
- Nov 4: The American Red Cross Greater New York Region is proud to Run for the Red in November at the TCS New York City Marathon. Come be a part of Team Red Cross and sign up by Thursday, September 13! Space is limited, so secure your spot today! For more information, contact Bob Estremera at NYCmarathon@redcross.org or 212-875-2091.