|Sean Penn and Chef Jose Andres from fellow community partners JP HRO and World Central Kitchen |
who were helping to provide delicious meals for Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina
Last Week in Review
- Thousands of Red Cross volunteers and employees are working around the clock to provide shelter, food, comfort and other emergency support to victims of Hurricane Florence as tens of thousands recover from massive flooding. Get ground-level updates from some of our local Red Crossers deployed there now: Josh Lockwood, Vivian Moy, Maria Milan, FDNY DART
- Big thanks to Joe Lawless and the UPS team, MNYN Logistics Volunteers and Hudson Valley Paws for Cause for helping out throughout our 3rd annual Warehouse Clean-up Day.
- On Friday, the Greater New York Red Cross was given the opportunity to highlight the humanitarian relief efforts to support people affected by Hurricane Florence by ringing the NYSE Closing Bell.
- On Thursday, during a non-profit roundtable meeting, Pat Beckley, Regional Director of NYS Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services presented Long Island Red Cross volunteer Celia Vollmer with an award recognizing her tireless efforts supporting the community.
- Special big ups to team Showtime Networks for supporting the Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces team by building “comfort kits” (personal hygiene products/toiletries) for service members and writing “Thank You” notes for the women and men of the U.S. Armed Services!
- A special installment of our "Three Questions" blog series was posted on the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Maria's landfall in Puerto Rico featuring Carlos Menendez who joined the Red Cross after watching this historic disaster unfold on TV.
- Check out the recent episode of NYC Emergency Management's podcast "Prep Talk" featuring our Communications Officer discussing how we work with NYC partners to help NYers before, during and after disasters.
- The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy of Kings Point, NY continues to be an outstanding partner for the Greater New York Red Cross by helping to install over 1,700 smoke alarms as part of the Sound the Alarm fire safety campaign.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Sept 25, 28, Oct 1: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan and other locations. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Sept 30: On Sunday, September 30th, we're proud to be partnering with the Florida (NY) Fire Department installing smoke alarms and providing fire safety education in the Florida Fire district. For an appointment, please call 845-673-1198 or visit soundthealarm.org/mnyn.
- Oct 10: Join us for the annual American Red Cross: Heroes Among Us gala at the Ziegfeld Ballroom to celebrate the civic leaders and heroic individuals who embody our humanitarian mission.
- Nov 4: The American Red Cross Greater New York Region is proud to Run for the Red in November at the TCS New York City Marathon. Come be a part of Team Red Cross and sign up by Thursday, September 13! Space is limited, so secure your spot today! For more information, contact Bob Estremera at NYCmarathon@redcross.org or 212-875-2091.