|The Greater NY Red Cross participated in the Long Beach Pride Parade last Sunday. |
(Photo: Lori-Ann Spaccarelli-Pizzarelli)
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 76 adults and 23 children following 40 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- On Sunday, our Long Island team participated in the Long Beach Pride Parade.
- On Saturday night, Red Cross volunteers assisted five families displaced by a fire in Mount Vernon.
- Last week, we featured volunteer Henry Chu in this two-part installment of our #MyRedCrossLife Instagram series.
- Last Friday was the official beginning of summer! Make sure you are staying safe in the heat with first aid tips from our free Emergency App.
- On Thursday, ABC7 and News12 reported on a massive fire in Yonkers in which Red Cross volunteers helped four displaced families, providing emergency housing and financial assistance.
- On Thursday, we hosted our Wellness Day at our Manhattan Regional HQ with several activities, such as yoga, and a puppy party!
- Last week, thousands of Red Cross volunteers and staff from all over the world (including a few from Greater NY) gathered in Solferino, Italy, the birthplace of the Red Cross Red Crescent network, to celebrate our global humanitarian movement!
- Red Cross volunteers from the Greater New York area were recently deployed to Arkansas and Missouri following severe flooding. Read about their experiences on our blog.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Disaster Action Team Member, Mass Care Team Member, Citizen Preparedness Corps Presenter, Financial Statistical Information Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 24, 25: Red Cross blood drives will take place from 2 to 7 p.m. at the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.