On Friday, GNY Red Cross staff and volunteers assisted those affected by a
massive fire on Watson Ave in the Bronx (Photo: Kevin Suttlehan)
Last Week in Review
- Last Saturday, there was a major power outage in Manhattan and the Red Cross was on standby to help. Incidents like this remind us how important it is to be prepared.
- Last week, a major storm made, Barry, made landfall as a hurricane. Hundreds of Red Cross staff members are on the ground helping, including one volunteer from the Greater New York area.
- On Friday, the Red Cross provided assistance after a massive fire on Watson Ave in the Bronx. More photographs taken by volunteer Kevin Suttlehan from the response can be viewed here.
- Red Cross volunteers provided assistance at the Jackson Houses in the Bronx after a transformer fire left several buildings without power.
- We had a Mass Casualty incident presentation for Red Cross volunteers. Three Red Cross experts shared their experience responding to responses in Sandy Hook, Boston, Orlando and Las Vegas.
- On Tuesday, we talked about pool safety with NBC4 following a tragic pool accident in Long Island. Anyone planning on spending time in the water this summer should check out these water safety tips.
- Senator Kevin Thomas joined our efforts to help #EndHomeFires by partnering with the Red Cross to install free smoke alarms across Long Island. Need a smoke alarm? Visit www.sounthealarm.org.
- We also posted a full gallery of the Pride Parade from the end of June here by volunteer photographer John Eng.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Disaster Action Team Member, Mass Care Team Member, Citizen Preparedness Corps Presenter, Financial Statistical Information Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 16: The Humanitarian Consequences of Climate Change Discussion will take place from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the 3rd floor of the Greater NY Red Cross building located at 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. RSVP here!