|Red Cross volunteers provided water and support to the |
Wounded Warrior Soldier Ride in Babylon, NY. (Photo: Doreen Brienza)
Last Week in Review
- It’s been really hot out there! Last week, ABC7 interviewed our CEO Josh Lockwood about how to stay cool in the heat and what to do in a power outage.
- On Friday, Red Cross volunteers provided water and support to the Wounded Warrior Soldier Ride in Babylon, NY.
- On Thursday, we had a great Emergency Preparedness presentation at the Penn South Senior Center. We were joined by Assembly Member Richard N. Gottfried and Senator Brad Hoylman.
- The State legislator Deborah Glick joined our Red Cross volunteers last Tuesday, going out to install free smoke alarms in her district. #EndHomeFires.
- Red Cross volunteer Shirley Leung was deployed to help during the California wildfires last year and she shares her experiences there in last week’s Instagram series #MyRedCrossLife.
- Zachary Terzano started as a Water Safety Instructor at 16 years old and as a Lifeguarding Instructor at 24. In the past year and half, he has become an Instructor Trainer and works to promote Red Cross Water Safety and Lifeguarding. Read his “Three Questions” interview here.
- On Tuesday, we have the honor to host the president of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) here at our HQ to discuss the humanitarian consequences of climate change and the IFRC’s new Heatwave Guide for Cities. Our friends from the Red Cross Climate Centre, NYC Emergency Management and the NYC Mayor’s Office of Resiliency participated. Pics here!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Disaster Action Team Member, Mass Care Team Member, Citizen Preparedness Corps Presenter, Financial Statistical Information Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.