|Carmela Grande was presented the Clara Barton Award at this years' |
GNY Volunteer Recognition Event. (Photo: John Eng)
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 105 adults and 23 children following 39 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Very grateful to Congresswoman Nydia Velazquez and Council Member Joseph Borelli for joining us last week in our efforts to #EndHomeFires.
- We celebrated our yearly NYC Volunteer Recognition event on Thursday. We were so proud to recognize the contribution and dedication of our volunteers. Congrats to all the honorees!
- Newsday reported a home fire in Long Beach in Nassau County where Red Cross teams aided 11 people.
- On Wednesday 9/11 we honored and remembered those we lost. Check out this blog post about the first few hours of our response that day.
- Our Chief Long Term Recovery Officer in Puerto Rico, Ana Montero, participated in the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute’s Annual Conference in Washington DC on Wednesday.
- As founding partners of the Measles & Rubella Initiative, last week we hosted a two-day meeting on Long Island highlighting the need to eradicating these terrible diseases.
- Red Cross Volunteer Louis Lambros attended the Emergency Preparedness meeting last Thursday in Lewisboro to brief Emergency Officials on Red Cross services available in times of need.
- We had a great Citizens Emergency Preparedness Presentation hosted by one of our partner, JASA, on Monday. Big thanks to Assemblyman Joseph Lentol for stopping by to support!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Visual Storyteller, Disability Integration Volunteer, Transportation Volunteer, Recruitment Support Volunteer, Home Fire Campaign Volunteer, Emergency Communication Center Dispatcher. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sept 10, 25 26: Learn about the mission and vision of the American Red Cross and the many volunteer opportunities that are available for you at an upcoming Orientation Session in Long Island, NYC and Metro NY North! Some current opportunities that will be discussed include Disaster Preparedness, Response, Recovery, Home Fire Campaign, Communications, and more. Light refreshments will be provided!
- Sept 18: Each year, the Metro New York North Red Cross chapter celebrates the dedication of our volunteers to the Red Cross mission to help prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies through our yearly Volunteer Recognition event.
- Oct 16: We will celebrate the 2019 Red Cross Heroes Among Us Gala at the Ziegfeld Ballroom, New York.