|Confirmed tornado touchdown in Suffolk County. (Photo: Robert Dempsey)|
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 89 adults and 37 children following 27 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- As #HurricaneDorian approaches the southeast coast, 24 Greater New York region volunteers and staff are supporting the Red Cross response, both virtually and on the ground in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.
- News 12 interviewed volunteer Sal Montero, from Long Island, who leads the disaster response team in Florida.
- Our Red Cross teams went to Suffolk County on Monday to help after a confirmed tornado touch down.
- Did you check out our hurricane prep tips? Be Safe!
- Married couple Nancy and Rick Stein shared their experience as Red Cross volunteers for over 24 years on #MyRedCrossLife Instagram series.
- On Monday, Red Cross volunteers provided assistance after a two-alarm fire on Grove St, Staten Island.
- 22 NYC volunteers graduated on Saturday from our Red Cross Response Academy. Congratulations!
- Last Tuesday, we visited Assembly Member Latoya Joyner to kick off our newest partnership to make communities and constituents better prepared in the event of a fire. #EndHomeFires
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Visual Storyteller, Disability Integration Volunteer, Transportation Volunteer, Recruitment Support Volunteer, Home Fire Campaign Volunteer, Emergency Communication Center Dispatcher. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sept 10, 25 26: Learn about the mission and vision of the American Red Cross and the many volunteer opportunities that are available for you at an upcoming Orientation Session in Long Island, NYC and Metro NY North! Some current opportunities that will be discussed include Disaster Preparedness, Response, Recovery, Home Fire Campaign, Communications, and more. Light refreshments will be provided!
- Sept 12: Each year, the American Red Cross Greater New York Region celebrates the dedication of our volunteers to the Red Cross mission to help prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies through our yearly Volunteer Recognition events starting in NYC.
- October 16, 2019: We will celebrate the 2019 Red Cross Heroes Among Us Gala at the Ziegfeld Ballroom, New York.