Red Cross volunteers came out to Co-op city in the Bronx to
install free smoke alarms (photo: Vivian Moy)
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 119 adults and 35 children following 47 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, Red Cross volunteers went to Co-op City in the Bronx to install free smoke alarms in homes as part of our Home Fire Campaign. We are thankful for these amazing volunteers and their dedication to our community.
- The work of our Home Fire Campaign continued, as volunteers, working alongside partners from PSEG Long Island, installed nearly 100 free smoke alarms in Long Beach to help #EndHomeFires.
- We recognized Senator Joe Addabbo as a Red Cross preparedness partner for his dedication in educating and sharing safety information with his constituents.
- Last Wednesday, the Long Island Red Cross participated in a tabletop exercise to prepare for hurricanes. Training was led by our Regional Disaster Officer Dario Diaz.
- Interim CEO of our Long Island chapter Desiree Ramos Reiner and Philanthropy Officer Dawn Neilson met with students who helped with donations towards our response to Hurricane Dorian.
- Last Monday, MiraistasUSA of New York took part in an emergency management drill spearheaded by the Red Cross.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Volunteer Recovery Caseworker, Engagement Volunteer, Disaster Spiritual Care, Emergency Management Agency Team. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- Nov 6: Join us at The American Red Cross of Greater New York's volunteer fair event from 2pm to 6 pm! Explore volunteer opportunities from over 20 of the most prominent disaster relief non-profit organizations in the NYC area.
- Nov 9: The Peekskill Fire Department (Westchester County) will be hosting us for their very own Home Fire Campaign major event! Peekskill firefighters will be joining Red Cross volunteers to install smoke detectors and spread fire awareness throughout the city of Peekskill, NY. The event will be held from 8am-4pm. No prior Home Fire Campaign experience is required. Training will be provided at the event. Register here.
- Nov 14: Join the Red Cross Young Patrons for a night of conversation, drinks, live music and old Hollywood enchantment at the beautiful and historic Players Club on Gramercy Park. The Red Cross Young Patrons provides rising professionals with an opportunity to network with other socially-conscious philanthropists and help leverage the mission of the American Red Cross in the local community.
- Dec 3: Sunrise to Save Lives Breakfast: Help the American Red Cross Long Island Chapter vaccinate 20,000 children on December 3, 2019. For just $1, the Measles & Rubella Initiative can vaccinate a child and protect him or her for life against this deadly disease. Join us for a breakfast and panel discussion featuring vaccine and public health experts who will share information regarding the impact of vaccination programs locally and globally.