Red Cross volunteers came out to Long Island to install free smoke alarms
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 160 adults and 40 children following 38 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- In light of the movie 1917 winning three Oscars last night, our friends at the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) shared this post about their work in 1917 delivering letters between soldiers and brothers... and mothers, sisters, lovers, fathers, children.
- Over the weekend, Red Cross volunteers installed 105 alarms on Long Island. Thank you to this amazing group of people who dedicated their time to save lives!
- Last Friday, speaker of the New York State Assembly Carl E. Heastie recorded his second PSA to help us reach his constituents and advance our home fire safety campaign.
- Last Tuesday, Dr. Jemilah Mahmood, Under-Secretary General for Partnerships at the IFRC, was in NYC to speak at Fordham University’s Humanitarian Lectures Series.
- Last week, we shared images taken by our photographer Catalina Rodriguez. She recently captured the work of volunteers Mitch Kassel and Kimberly Taylor on shift with the Red Cross. Together, they assisted several residents in Queens and Brooklyn.
- Early last week, New York Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul lead a delegation from New York to Puerto Rico to provide support and assistance in earthquake-affected areas. As part of her trip, she met with Red Cross teams on the ground helping impacted residents.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Community Preparedness Education Volunteer, Disaster Action Team Member, Emergency Communications Center, Volunteer Services Screener. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- Feb 10: Come join us online at 6:00 pm for our Online Volunteer Orientation to learn about how you can get involved with one of our many volunteer opportunities.
- Mar 7: Join us for Share the Red, our Orientation and Volunteer Fair which will be held from 10 am to 5 pm in our Greater New York Office.
- Apr 25: Save the Date for the Metro New York North Red and White Ball!