|Emergency Preparedness Team who officially launched our newest children’s program called|
Prepare with Pedro in PS 23, in the Bronx. (Photo: John Waldman)
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 128 adults and 52 children following 38 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Shout out to our disaster response team members for all their work this past week (and every week, for that matter). A few notable responses:
- Last Friday night, Red Cross volunteers responded a fire in Bensonhurst. They helped seven families (29 people) with emergency housing, financial assistance, and other support.
- Last Monday, after a fire at E. 7th Street in Manhattan, they helped 10 individuals.
- Primrose Elementary School and the Stephanie Crispinelli Humanitarian Fund partnered with the Red Cross to put together (and donate) post-disaster comfort kits for young children. The annual event was in honor of Stephanie Crispanelli, a young humanitarian who lost her life in the Haiti Earthquake of 2010.
- In celebration of Valentine’s Day, we shared four stories of Red Cross couples who embody caring and compassion and we sent our most heartfelt thanks to our donors, partners, and volunteers for their support of the American Red Cross. Every day they work hard to fulfill our lifesaving mission, and we couldn’t do it without them!
- Pre-Valentine's Day, in partnership with Veronica Beard, we honored women veterans with a special party complete with manicures, makeovers, and raffle prizes.
- Last Wednesday, New York Disaster Interfaith Service (NYDIS) Chief of Staff, Peter Cavadini, and Manager of Member and Partner Services, Andrés García, attended the NYC Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD) General Meeting hostes here at our Greater New York HQ. Attendees discussed NYC VOAD's response capacity to developing disasters like the Puerto Rico Earthquake, Coronavirus, and last year’s Queen’s sewage event.
- Also on Wednesday, we had a great morning at PS 23 in the Bronx kicking off “Prepared with Pedro,” our new preparedness program for kids. Thanks to News 12 The Bronx for covering and thank to all our volunteers for supporting this fun, new initiative!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Community Preparedness Education Volunteer, Disaster Action Team Member, Emergency Communications Center, Volunteer Services Screener. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mar 7: Join us for Share the Red, our Orientation and Volunteer Fair which will be held from 10 am to 5 pm in our Greater New York Office.
- Apr 25: Save the Date for the Metro New York North Red and White Ball!