|60+ Red Cross team members at the NY State Capitol alongside local elected officials including Andrea Stewart-Cousins, Assemblyman Marcos A. Crespo, Senator Timothy Kennedy, Senator Joseph Robach, Assemblyman Al Stripe, and Assemblyman Angelo Santabarbara.|
From January 27 to February 2, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 134 adults and 43 children following 46 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- In light of the worldwide concern about the coronavirus, here are some safety tips from the IFRC and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Over the weekend, 40+ volunteers from our partner MIRAUSA completed disaster training in Long Island.
- Friday morning, Red Cross Metro NY North volunteers responded to a fire in Wurstboro (Sullivan County) that displaced four families (six adults and three children).
- As part of their annual 'Operation Save a Life' fire safety special, ABC Eyewitness News New York featured our work, specifically our Emergency Communications Center, in a segment entitled, 'Red Cross to the Rescue.' Check it out here. Red Cross segment starts at the 4-minute mark.
- Over a two-day period early last week, more than 60 Red Crossers from across New York state gathered together with legislators to discuss Red Cross services and disaster preparedness. Furthermore, we presented Sen. Andrea Stewart-Cousins with the American Red Cross Legislator of the Year Award for New York state. Congratulations and thank you to her!
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: AmeriCorps Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, Community Relations Ambassador, Volunteer Recovery Caseworker, Emergency Communications Center, Volunteer Screener. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Feb 10: Come join us at our Online Volunteer Orientation to learn about how you can get involved with one of our many volunteer opportunities.
- Mar 7: Join us at Share the Red, Volunteer Fair and Open House, which will be held from 10 am to 5 pm at our Greater New York HQ.
- Apr 25: Save the Date for the Metro New York North Red and White Ball!