|Volunteers are heroes too! (Photo: Vivian Moy)|
Last Week in Review
- Last week, in celebration of National Volunteer Week we shared some of the fantastic experiences of our volunteers, as well as a special message from our Interim CEO Susan Rounds. Thank you!
- The Metro New York North Chapter recently welcomed Stephanie Dunn Ashley as its new CEO. Dunn Ashley oversees the Red Cross in Greenwich, Conn., Westchester County, Rockland County, and West Point, N.Y. And thanks to Greenwich Time for recently featuring her.
- Last Wednesday, as part of a daily effort to support hospital workers across NYC, Red Cross volunteers distributed nearly 900 bags of food and household supplies to Elmhurst Hospital workers, and 768 bags at Coney Island Hospital! So grateful to our team and partners in this NYC Health Care Heroes initiative: Aramark, Robin Hood Foundation, Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City, and The Debra and Leon Black Family. Among those who received supplies was Uchenna, a nurse practitioner from Arkansas who traveled to NYC to support coronavirus response,
- Last Tuesday, volunteers from our Metro NY North chapter helped to deliver meals to families across Rockland County as part of the Rockland County VOAD, in collaboration with Rockland County, Meals on Wheels Programs & Services of Rockland.
- Also on Tuesday, Long Island Red Cross mental health volunteer Dr. Thomas Hlenski led a Webex conversation to help 180+ Suffolk County Fire and Rescue essential workers cope with the emotional toll of COVID-19. Tom was recently featured on this podcast where he discussed this same topic..
- Late last month, well into the coronavirus crisis, Carol Aponte and her family fled their Bronx home because of a three-alarm fire that started a few floors above. Her recovery has been difficult but there have been signs of hope. Aponte credits her family, her friends, a local church, and the Red Cross for helping her get through these difficult few weeks.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Service to the Armed Forces Caseworker, Volunteer Services Screener, Mass Care Team Member, Disaster Health Services. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- April 29, May 6, May 13, and May 20: The goal of the Pillowcase Project Virtual Sessions is to help create a generation of children who understand the science of hazards, are empowered to take action preparing for emergencies and are excited to help create a prepared community by sharing what they have learned with family and friends. Register for an online session here.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.