|Red Cross ERV sighting at Brentwood Library Touch-a-Truck Event.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 100 adults and 30 children following 32 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- For World Mental Health Day, listen to our podcast episodes about the emotional toll of COVID-19 and disaster mental health.
- Over the weekend, the Long Island Red Cross brought out our Emergency Response Vehicle (ERV) to the Brentwood Library Touch-a-Truck event.
- Last Friday for National Fire Prevention Week, Nassau County Executive Laura Curran teamed up with the Long Island Red Cross to discuss free smoke alarms available on Long Island.
- Other elected officials like Congressman Espaillat, Senator Thomas and Senator Savino also encouraged their constituents to get free smoke alarms installed.
- Last Thursday, we held a special preparedness presentation: Hands-Only CPR + Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes co-hosted by NY State Assembly Member Amanda Septimo.
- We also held a Be Red Cross Ready preparedness presentation with Greenwich Selectman Jill Oberlander and other community partners.
- We continued to feature to people who responded to 9/11 like Sidney Ko for our 20th Anniversary MyRedCrossLife Instagram series.
- Last Monday, CBS New York reported the Red Cross assisted a family with emergency housing after a SUV crashed into their Woodside home.
- Two weeks ago, Red Crossers supported the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) Memorial Service held for the 10 firefighters who lost their lives in the past year.
- Oct 19: Preparing with Pedro is a 30- to 45-minute virtual presentation during which students learn about how to stay safe during a locally relevant hazard co-hosted by NY State Assembly Member Jessica Gonzalez-Rojas.
- Oct 20: Join our Volunteer Info Session to learn about our many volunteer opportunities and how you can apply today.
- Oct 21: Join us for a virtual preparedness presentation Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes co-hosted by Congressman Ritchie Torres.
- Are you ready to turn your compassion into action? As a Disaster Casework volunteer, you will connect directly with people affected by disasters big and small to help take the next steps in their recovery journey. Sign up here.