|Listen to our latest podcast episode on Hurricane Maria.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 85 adults and 32 children following 30 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- To celebrate the end of National Hispanic Heritage Month, we debuted a special podcast episode that takes an in-depth look at the response and recovery following Hurricane Maria. The devastating storm made landfall on Puerto Rico more than four years ago. To learn more about the episode and our third season click here.
- Over the weekend, Allied Esports, Tiltify and the American Red Cross teamed up for the finale for the Rescue Royale Fallguys Tournament fundraiser. Congrats and thanks to all the competitive streamers who raised money for the Red Cross!
- On Saturday, Red Cross volunteers were out across Long Island teaching fire safety and installing free smoke alarms for residents like 92-year-old veteran Frank Silechia from Bayport.
- We continued to feature those who responded to 9/11, like Max Green, for our 20th Anniversary MyRedCrossLife Instagram series.
- The Greater NY Red Cross Logistics teams replenished supplies used after Hurricane Henri and Ida.
- The American Red Cross in Greater New York welcomed seven new members to our regional Boards of Directors.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Oct 19: Prepare with Pedro is a 30- to 45-minute virtual presentation during which students learn about how to stay safe during an emergency. The October 19th virtual event will be co-hosted by NY State Assembly Member Jessica Gonzalez-Rojas.
- Oct 20: Join our Volunteer Info Session to learn about our many volunteer opportunities and how you can apply today.
- Oct 21: Join us for a virtual preparedness presentation, Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do When Disaster Strikes, co-hosted by Congressman Ritchie Torres.
- Oct 26: Join us for a virtual Hands-Only CPR presentation co-hosted by Rep. Harry Arora.
- Are you ready to turn your compassion into action? As a Disaster Casework volunteer, you will connect directly with people affected by disasters big and small to help take the next steps in their recovery journey. Sign up here.