|Long Island Home Fire teams helping to #EndHomeFires.
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 81 adults and 20 children following 33 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Last weekend, our Long Island Home Fire teams installed free smoke alarms from West Hempstead, Baldwin and Port Washington, to Bayshore, Riverhead and Mattituck! Sign up for your own free smoke alarm here: www.redcross/lifiresafety
- For the last two years our Restoring Family Link (RFL) program, Red Cross volunteer Ogochukwu Ononiwu has been helping reconnect family members separated by natural disaster, conflict, or migration.
- Last Tuesday, we had a ball kicking off the Metro NY North Red & White Ball! Save the date of April 23, 2022 for an evening of inspiration and celebration to support our mission.
- Hurricane Maria was very personal for Winnie Romeril, Julio Gaby Acevedo and Nelson Lopez. They recently shared their stories about the storm’s afftermath for our latest podcast episode.
- Bruno Costais, Ray Wark and Erin Phillips are running this year’s TCS NYC Marathon to benefit the Red Cross. Learn more about why they are running and support their efforts through their fundraising pages. If you’d like to join Team Red Cross, click here.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Nov 12: Join the American Red Cross for a new International Humanitarian Law & pop culture event! From the birth of Iron Man toCaptain America to the Tesseract, the American Red Cross IHL Team will transport you into the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) to explore some of the biggest IHL issues in Phase One of the Infinity Saga!
- Are you ready to turn your compassion into action? As a Disaster Casework volunteer, you will connect directly with people affected by disasters big and small to help take the next steps in their recovery journey. Sign up here.